Mini-skirts, maxi-skirts…wide ties, narrow ties…flats, stilettos. There are so many design trends and fads in fashion to follow, right? Well, did you know that there are trends for interior and exterior designs as well? While everyone can all watch their favorite TV designer “reality” shows, or read the latest design trend magazines, the Florida Fence team thought it would help to point out a few of the latest and hottest exterior design trends for your consideration and information. Don’t worry, we can all stick to our tried and true favorite ideas, but in case you are in need of some inspiration, here goes:
What’s Trending for Exterior Design in 2017
- Use Solar Energy! Why not take advantage of nature for your lighting? While the cost of installing solar roofing panels is still high, limiting their use for all-around interior lighting, there are a great number of amazing and beautiful solar lights for the outside of your home. You can save on your own electric bills, and help the planet burn less fuels by adding solar lights to your garden and walkways!
- Use Low Maintenance Materials! With our increasingly busy schedules, who has time to wash, paint, stain, etc.? There are fiberglass replacement windows and fiber-cement siding products that even look like wood but don’t need the upkeep, all of which can let you spend more time doing the things you love! And, of course, why not use vinyl, for example, for your new fencing project? With so many colors and designs to choose from, it is the ideal way to fit any design theme and then sit back and enjoy!
- Remember, we’re not getting younger! If this is the home you plan to stay in as you age, consider aging in place design elements, such as wider handrails that will be easier to hold later on, wider doorways or pathways that will be easier for you to negotiate and the elimination of such neat, but potentially dangerous, elements such as spiral staircases. Think of the future, not just the present, as you make your design choices.
- Colors are important, too! While color trends come and go, 2017 appears to be the year of nature – simple greens, taupes, earthy tones are the highest in demand.🍂
- And speaking of nature – plants are important! Especially here in Florida, where the sun and humidity reign supreme, it is important to use climate friendly plantings. (And don’t forget to add beautiful plants and landscaping around your fence!) And, since water supplies and watering regulations vary, you might want to think about an attractive rain barrel or rain catcher to recycle nature’s rainfalls. 🌿
Remember, regardless of trends, you are the one who has to live with your designs, so be sure that you follow your own motifs and preferences in conjunction with what’s out there in the marketplace. However, when you are ready to think about a low maintenance fence, why not contact us today to get started or use our online tool to design your fence on a map of your actual property to get the ball rolling!
By the way, don’t throw out those narrow ties or mini-skirts – everything makes a comeback eventually! 😉