Picket, our wonderful Florida Fence mascot, thought you would all like to meet more of his team, so we thought that from time to time we would provide our readers with an in-depth spotlight on one of his co-workers. Picket thought it would be fitting to begin with his interview of Dane Champlin, General Manager, and he SWEARS he wasn’t bribed with too many doggy biscuits to do so! ?
So, Dane, tell me a little about yourself – you know, where you are from, your background, etc.
- My journey in fencing began in 1980 in Martinsville IN and then later I owned and operated a fence company there for 9 years. We purchased a lot of fence material from Merchants Metals who is a fence manufacturing and distribution company. I later worked at Merchants Metals for 17 years in various management positions around the US and abroad. After a short time as a Senior Program Manager for General Electric in Pennsylvania, I came to Florida and founded Fencespace.com which was one of the first online fence estimating and project management systems built for the fence industry at the time. I started at Florida Fence for yet another chapter in my life as a “fencer.”
Tell us a little bit about your family…
- I grew up in farm country in Indiana. We called it cornfield county. We worked and played hard, lived by morals and with an appreciation for life, liberty, dedicated to God and Country. My wife was originally from Pendleton, IN and grew up in a similar environment. We each have 2 adult children living around the central Indiana & Ohio area.
Ummm – you didn’t mention any dogs, but ok, moving on ?… what are some of your hobbies and interests?
- I love the beach, music, movies and, once in a while, a good adult beverage.
Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us.
- I lived through the 70’s and had hair long enough that I could grab it from behind my back, if you can imagine.
What are three things most people don’t know about you?
- I played music when I was younger, both studio work as well as live performances. I enjoy writing songs, jingles and parodies and had a home studio for several years.
What are three words that best describe you?
- Trustworthy, Engaged, Driven
If you were stuck on an island what three things would you want to have with you? (By the way, readers, that is a question Picket learned from watching TV interviewers like Barbara Walters, but at least he didn’t ask Dane what kind of tree he would be ?)
- The Bible, a hammock,and a knife
What are your favorite and least favorite foods?
- I love Italian food and I think liver would be my least favorite food (hmm, Picket thought – might leave more for me, then, huh?)
Do you have a motto or personal mantra?
- Yes – Whatever you can conceive and believe you can achieve.
Finally, Picket asked Dane when he was the happiest, and Dane answered, “When making a difference!”
Picket and the rest of us at Florida Fence are proud to have Dane as part of our team, and we are sure once you get to know him you will agree! So why not contact us today to get started on your brand new fence or use our online tool to design your fence on a map of your property to get the ball rolling!